According to the letter of agreement with FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the Community) for the implementation of the project “Supporting the sustainable development of agritourism in Albania”, RASP organized on February 17, 2022, in the city of Përmet workshop on “Identification of local plant varieties and animal breeds, as a tool for agrobiodiversity conservation and promoting local/organic/GI products in support of agritourism “
The purpose of this workshop was: Presentation of the project objectives and related activities, raising awareness of stakeholders on the importance of agrobiodiversity, identification of plant and animal genetic resources in the area, identification of the ways for using plant and animal genetic resources in agritourism.
Participants in the workshop were representatives from the Municipality of Permet, from ARDA (Agency for Agricultural and Rural Development), from CESVI (Italian organization operating in Permet), from the association Pro-Përmeti, specialists from the National Authority of Veterinary and Plant Protection, Specialists in Advisory Service, Agro-processors, Farmers.
The workshop was held in two sessions: In the first session were presented:
- Project, activities and its connection with agrobiodiversity,
- Tourism in the Permet region and the use of local assets in tourism
- Local plant varieties, traditions and possible use of local genetic resources in agritourism
In the second session, group work took place. The participants were divided into three separate groups: a) the group of participants operating in the field of agriculture; b) the group with representatives operating in the field of livestock; and c) the group of representatives of agro-processing products.
The following issues were analyzed during the group work:
- Local and potential genetic resources related to agritourism;
- Linking genetic resources with tradition, ceremonies, etc.;
- Utilization of autochthonous genetic resources in agritourism;
- Needs for capacity building related to the conservation of local genetic resources and their use in agritourism;
- Institutional support needs.
Each group reflected the results, which were presented by a representative of each of them.
These results will serve RASP experts to continue further by providing more detailed information and assessing the potential of agrobiodiversity to better support the development of agritourism in the region.